Saturday, January 30, 2010

Leftover Makeover -- Well, almost!

Sorry! I know this is such a late post that I am pretty certain all your holiday leftovers are either long gone to the sewers or the waste disposal units. But hopefully, this recipe will be useful someday. January will be over in a couple of days. Oh how time flies! And now that the midterms are done with, I've been busy prepping for 2 major events coming up for my Banquet and Catering Class. The first one is on February 10 which is a pre-Valentine dinner. Here's the poster I made for Group 3 which my best friend, Mimie, is a member of.


Pretty sweet. For next month, the group I'm in, is in charge of the final event. I can't disclose the details just yet until the plans are finalized but we'll get there. I am super pee-in-pants excited.

So here goes my too-late recipe. I hate to be late. It's my pet peeve and now I'm doing it. Blah!

Ham and Apples in Peanut Sauce

Ingredients:

5-10 slices of Christmas Ham or Pineapple Ham or Honey-Cured Ham
1 large Apple (any kind will do), peeled, cored and sliced like the ham
2 pieces Garlic, minced
1 red Onion, sliced into rings
1 red Bell Pepper, sliced into rings
1 tbsp Butter
1/4 cup Pineapple Juice1 tbsp Peanut Butter (smooth or chunky will do)
1 tsp Tomato Paste
1 tbsp Brown Sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste

Procedure:

1. Fry Ham until it's brown on the sides and set it aside. You can use regular ham for this recipe but choose the sweet kind like honey-cured ones because it's more smoky and tastier.

2. On a separate pan, stir-fry garlic, onions, bell peppers and apples in butter.


3. Stir and let sizzle. Add a dash of salt and a dash of pepper and keep mixing until the apples are a bit translucent.


4. Now, it's time to add the peanut butter and the pineapple juice or if you have leftover Christmas ham sauce, much better.

5. Add some brown sugar and tomato paste. Let it simmer for 3 minutes. Taste it and add a bit more salt and pepper, whichever you prefer.


6. When the sauce is set, gently fold in the ham into the sauce until all is covered.

What I've made looked like this:


I had some Focacia bread with it. So delish! My brother said, it tastes slightly like Kare-Kare  because of the peanut butter. But still, he's wiped the dish out in no time.

I hope you wipe out dishes too when you try this one!

Have a hearty meal!
♥Chef Shak

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what d'ya think?