Sunday, July 4, 2010

Comfort Food

There are certain days when I am just a terrible mess. I'd like to think we all go through that. No, not that I like the idea of people suffering. It's just that I take comfort in knowing that I am not alone. 

Today had been heavy. I did not mean it to be. Went to work. Got through the morning fine and then by noon, a big breeze of melancholy rushed through my brain and ruined my day. Really, who wants that? And really, how could you get away from a bad situation when that situation is happening inside your head? I guess food is a good answer. Some people may buy it but I make it. I do it myself.

Right after my shift, I went over to the grocery and bought tofu and canned shiitake mushrooms and potatoes. Checking and jangling loose change in my hands and in my mind a plan to make things better before the day is through. I'm going PMA and veg for dinner.




This recipe is dedicated to those who feel me.

SCRATCH POTATOES AND FRIED TOFU AND SHIITAKE AND CREAM

Ingredients for Scratch Potatoes:


5 medium Potatoes, boiled and mashed
2 tbsp Butter
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 cup Fresh Milk or Evaporated Milk 

Ingredients for Fried Tofu:


1 small block Tofu, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 egg, beaten
Salt and Pepper to taste
Cooking oil 

Ingredients for Shiitake and Cream:


1 piece Garlic, sliced
1 piece Red or Green Bell Pepper
1 can Shiitake Mushrooms, canned, drained or the dried variety
1/2 cup All Purpose Cream
Salt and Pepper to taste
Cooking oil

Procedure 1: Scratch Potatoes

Mix all ingredients and set aside. You may want it real smooth, just add some more milk. I want mine lumpy.


Procedure 2: Fried Tofu


Season the sliced tofu with salt and pepper. Dip lightly in beaten egg and fry in cooking oil just enough to make it float a little. Turn each side brown and set it on tissue paper to drain extra oil.


Procedure 3: Shiitake and Cream


Saute garlic and bell peppers in oil. Add shiitake mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 2-3 minutes in high heat and then turn off the fire. Add in the cream and mix. 



Procedure 4: Assembly


Scoop a portion of Scratch Potatoes on a plate. Pile the Fried Tofu fan-like on the side of the Scratch Potatoes. Top it all off with Shiitake and Cream. Or really, any way you like it. There are no rules.



Now dig in and know that tomorrow is going to be a better day. ^_^

Always by your hungry side,
♥ Chef Shak


No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what d'ya think?