Friday, October 29, 2010

Fish are friends.


Some months ago, I decided my meals to consist mainly of fish. Not purely though, but I wanted to get by and look back at my weeks with fish at least in one meal each day. I requested my ma to go shop for fish. I want to eat fish. I've never been a picky eater all my life. I love meat and I love fowl and fish and vegetables, it's all good to me, it's just that I've become a lot more conscious with what goes into my mouth lately.

This family is carnivorous.


You open the freezer and packs of meat will greet you wassup. My father runs the co-op shop in the university where he teaches and we get to have meat all the time. Sometimes, free (sample) meat from the dealers. This had been going on for years, so we never really ran out of pork and chicken.

But I want fish and seafood. Somehow, I managed to be the only person (so far) in the family who is not allergic to anything edible. My older brother and younger sister are both allergic to shrimp. My parents are both allergic to chicken. But you know how it goes, they still eat it. Haha. I told my ma that I've gotten tired of canned tuna and some months ago, she discovered this pre-packed, de-boned Dory fish fillet in the supermarket which is quite cheap compared to fresh ones and I've been having it ever since. I like Dory fish, its smell isn't strong and its white meat is tender even when overcooked. Here's a favorite recipe I made up for that Dory fillet.


SWEET HAWAIIAN DORY

Ingredients for the breaded fish:

2 cuts Dory fish fillet, sliced into finger sized pieces
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp ground black Pepper
1 cup Cornstarch
cooking Oil enough for deep frying

Ingredients for sweet Hawaiian sauce:

1 tsp cooking Oil
1 small can Pineapple tidbits with syrup
1 clove Garlic, pounded
1 medium red or white Onion, quartered
1 red Bell Pepper, cut into squares
3 tbsp Vinegar
1/2 cup Tomato Sauce
1 cup water
3 tbsp Soy sauce or Oyster sauce
3 tbsp Sugar
1/3 cup Slurry (3 tsp Cornstarch mixed in 5 tbsp water)
Salt and Pepper to taste

How-to:

1. Let us first prepare our dory fish. Wash it and drain, season it with salt and pepper and smother it with cornstarch making sure it is perfectly covered. Set aside.


2. Heat enough oil for deep frying. Drop each fish  and fry for 5-8 minutes each side or until it is golden brown. When all this is done, set aside.


3. Now for the sweet Hawaiian sauce. In a separate saucepan, saute garlic, onions and red bell pepper in oil. Sprinkle a dash of salt, then add vinegar. Let vinegar reduce a little then add the pineapple tidbits with its syrup. Add soy sauce (or oyster sauce), tomato sauce, sugar, and water. Let it simmer.


4. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Slowly pour in slurry while mixing to avoid lumps. Let it simmer for another minute.

5. Pour in the breaded Dory fish and mix in with the sauce.


6. It is now ready to devour. Best with steamed white rice. :)



Till the next eats!
♥ Shak

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what d'ya think?