Friday, October 2, 2009

Lip-smackin' snack.

I love to snack.

I could skip a meal easy but it's hard for me to skip a snack. I get hungry at odd times of the day - 2pm, 9pm, 1am. Back then when I was so young, I long for hot tasty snacks. My favorite were burgers (up to this day!) and sandwiches. My older sister and I used to rummage through the fridge and kitchen cupboards to find stuff we can cook and devour, never thinking it was "training" on our part that made us pretty much kitchen savvy now.


One day, I got the pangs for a hot bunwich. I found a few ingredients lying around the counter which I turn into:

Luncheon Meat and Beans in Tomato Plum Sauce

Ingredients:

Bread buns
1 round can Luncheon meat (or beef loaf, meat loaf, ham, whatever spiced meat you have), chopped into small pieces
1 large can Pork and beans
3 tomatoes, chopped finely
1/2 Napa cabbage (pechay, bok choi), chopped finely
2 tbsp Plum jam (If you don't have this, mash 1/2 cup of raisins in a bowl)
1/4 cup Banana ketchup
3 tbsp Sugar
2 tbsp Oyster sauce
2 tbsp Soy sauce
1 tsp Black pepper
1 tbsp cooking oil or butter
1/2 clove Garlic, minced
1 medium sized Onion, minced

1. Simply saute the garlic and onions in oil or butter until the garlic is golden brown.

2 Add in the luncheon meat and tomatoes and saute it for 5 minutes. If you didn't have the plum jam and are using the raisins instead, add it while sauteing the luncheon meat.


3. After that, add in the napa cabbage, plum jam, sugar, oyster sauce, banana ketchup, soy sauce and black pepper. Mix it well for another 5 minutes in medium to low heat.


4. Now, pour in the pork and beans. Mix and let everything sizzle. Taste it and season to your liking. You may add more soy sauce or oyster sauce if you find it a bit bland. If you like it sweeter, add more ketchup or sugar. Always in small amounts. Taste it again and it's perfect.

(Yield: 4-6 servings)


Break your buns and breads for this one. Fill it up with the sweet and tasty stuff you just made. Eat wholeheartedly with friends and family. If you're all alone, you can store this in a sealed container and stock it in the fridge. It also goes perfect with rice.

Enjoy your lip-smackin' snack!

Till the next eats!
♥ChefShak

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what d'ya think?