Saturday, August 28, 2010

What You Can't Have


There are things I'm upset about like the sad fact that there aren't any onion rings available anywhere near me. And if there are, why does it have to cost as much as a quarter pounder when it's just onion? I know LOL I'm pretty cheap.

Not many people like onion.


It stinks, some say, and others find it too strong for a snack. But I love onions. I may be an ogre in some past life, who knows? My great love for onion rings is somewhat ridiculously baseless too because I didn't even get to taste it. I was just a kid who saw an ad from a U.S. magazine, stared at that photo forever and imagined how battered onions would taste like. Of course, when I got older I attempted to create my own only to be dissatisfied with the result. The product didn't even look close to that ad.

I have been wanting to recreate it with the aid of somebody who posted a recipe for old fashioned onion rings. The person happened to work in an undisclosed fast food chain so I thought it would taste totally legit. Here's my own version of it!


Onion Rings with Thousand Island Dip


Ingredients for Onion Rings:

1 large Onion, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 cup All-purpose flour
1 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Salt
1 Egg
1 cup (or more) Fresh Milk or Evaporated Milk
1 cup Bread crumbs
Cooking oil, enough for deep frying

Ingredients for Thousand Island Dip:

1/2 cup Mayonnaise
4 tbsp Ketchup
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce (optional)
1 Egg, boiled and mashed


How-to:

1. Separate sliced onion into rings like this:


2. Set aside the onions.

3. In a deep bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.

4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg and add the milk and then add it into the flour mixture. Mix thoroughly until it forms a thick batter. If too thick and doughy, slowly add more milk to the desired consistency.

5. In a deep frying pan, heat cooking oil.

6. Ready your bread crumbs in a separate plate.

7. Dip the rings in batter and set on plate to drip on.


8. Drop a small piece of onion dipped in batter to test if oil is hot and ready.

9. When oil is hot enough, cover battered onions with bread crumbs and drop in frying pan.


10. Flip until onions are browned each side.

11. Set on paper towels to drain off excess oil.

And now to prepare the dip:


Just mix all of the ingredients in a bowl. That's it.
Here you go! Great crunchy diner-style Onion Rings! :)


And I wouldn't be so sullen anymore.
What you can't have, you can always find a way to make!

Until the next eats!
<3 Chef Shak

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what d'ya think?